My blog on pregnancy bed rest and complications

This blog is partly for me, as an outlet for enduring bed rest, partly for anyone with similar complications who stumbles upon this (since others blogs have helped me) and partly for friends and family to stay updated.

Warning - could be TMI - there will be talk of bleeding and anatomy

The quick summary is that I was on bed rest for marginal placenta abruption & marginal placenta previa. I was on bed rest at home for 6 weeks and on hospital bed rest for 10 days until I had an almost complete placenta abruption with full previa and was rushed to an emergency cesarean at 25 weeks to save both baby Jacob and myself. More details in the blogs......

Monday, August 30, 2010

Marathon

This week is pretty much more of the same, another mile passed in a long marathon. We had a very good visit with my doctor on Friday and agreed on our course of action for the next week and a half. I had been having uterine cramping, which is a sign of preterm labor, but she gave me medication and the cramping stopped (actually before I started the medication). We agreed to admit me to the hospital on September 8, which is now just 9 days away. I am looking forward to passing the viability point and having some medical intervention to help Jacob (steroid shots for his lungs to develop faster, constant monitoring), but not looking forward to being away from my family. The hospital is only about 30 minutes away, but it will still be a huge adjustment for all of us.

So now I prepare for the next leg of the journey - hospital bed rest. This will really change everything. It has been hard for me to let go of normal life up to this point. I have been working from home for over a month, even though I didn’t really have to; I could have been getting short term disability benefits without working, but for whatever reason, I chose to work. I am probably not doing a great job, but felt bad about leaving my responsibilities, and work helps pass the time. Even now, it will be so strange to be leaving my job 4 months before the due date, especially since with prior pregnancies, I worked until the end (even through a full day of early labor, timing contractions and watching the clock to ensure I could transition all my work before going to the hospital).

But now is the time to let it go and focus on a healthy delivery for Jacob….

Another thing I have not wanted to let go of is my husband’s marathon. He has been planning to run the Chicago Marathon for over a year now. Actually it has been over 6 years in the making since he first started running in Chicago when we lived there. The race is in October and I have been looking forward to going with the kids to support him. First I had to let go of the idea that I could go. Now I have to accept he will not be able to go either. It really saddens me because I have seen how hard he has been training for months and really years for this big event. He has decided to be here in town for me and Jacob when/if something happens rather than out of town.

Something really surprising has come together in the last few days. He decided he is pretty much trained and ready to run his marathon, so will be running this Saturday in the streets of Brentwood – he’s running for me and Jacob. I am thankful for our family coming in town to run parts of the race with him and to support him. I am hoping local friends and runners will come out to support his race too, because he has been such a support to me.

Here are the details for anyone in Nashville that would like to come out (you can sign up to attend on Facebook, or contact either one of us directly):

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=130127460367252

“On September 8th, Amy checks into the hospital for the duration of her high risk pregnancy. Since I am almost fully trained to run the Chicago Marathon but will need to put it on hold, I am going to run my marathon in Brentwood this Saturday. Everyone is invited to participate as I am planning to run different lengths. Please invite your friends, too.

My father has been doing a lot of leg work and now the schedule is coming together. Fleet Feet of Brentwood is going to support the cause! Also, we have our first satellite participant -- Paul is going to run 10 miles in South Florida at the same time.

6:30am: 10 miles with Fleet Feet group from Concord YMCA. No idea where they go, but their group is 150 strong.

8:15am: 13.1 miles. Leave and return to YMCA. Fleet Feet is going to support our route with water, electrolytes, etc.

10:30am: 5k or 3.1 miles from YMCA through Crockett Park and back to YMCA.

11am: Jimmy Johns and beers in River Park parking lot, adjacent to YMCA”