My blog on pregnancy bed rest and complications

This blog is partly for me, as an outlet for enduring bed rest, partly for anyone with similar complications who stumbles upon this (since others blogs have helped me) and partly for friends and family to stay updated.

Warning - could be TMI - there will be talk of bleeding and anatomy

The quick summary is that I was on bed rest for marginal placenta abruption & marginal placenta previa. I was on bed rest at home for 6 weeks and on hospital bed rest for 10 days until I had an almost complete placenta abruption with full previa and was rushed to an emergency cesarean at 25 weeks to save both baby Jacob and myself. More details in the blogs......

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

His Name is Jacob

On this blog I have consciously tried to not mention my full name or family members names because I am a little paranoid about internet privacy, but want you to know the name of our unborn baby, hoping that it will help you remember him and pray for him.

His name is Jacob. His due date is December 29. On Thursday he will be 22 weeks. Yesterday, he weighed 1 lb, 3 oz, 93 percentile. He has been causing quite a stir for his family. But we already love him so much. His brother and sister are waiting for him to be born. They talk to him and hug him and kiss him every day, and feel him kick. They pray for him every night. They never forget his stick figure when they are drawing family pictures. They have decided his favorite color is going to be green. They talk of all the things they will teach him and show him, and practice how they will take care of him. They talk about what toys they are going to give to him and share with him. They talk of the three kids in our family, he is already one of them.

I just found out one of the meanings of Jacob is, “God will protect.” I am so thankful for that and praying so hard for God to protect him. We can’t lose him; he is part of our family.

Yesterday I went to the hospital for prolonged heavy bleeding and cramping. The ultrasound revealed really no change in almost a month. You could call it good news, but really it’s concerning because the placenta should have moved up, started healing etc. Unusual and unpredictable are words the doctor used in describing what is going on. We are worried for a few reasons – bleeding every day for a month or more is not good for the membranes and the irritation will probably cause preterm labor. Labor, contractions, dilation would be risky because of the location and condition of the placenta. I have a marginal placenta previa (edge covers birth canal) and marginal placenta abrubtion (tear from uterus). I knew about the abruption and knew I had a low placenta before, but did not know the edge was actually covering the cervix or birth canal. I really studied the ultrasound and asked lots of questions. You can clearly see on top of the cervix is a 7cm x 3cm bleed, with a lifted/torn placenta right over that. Clearly not where it should be (attached to the uterine wall).

If I was past 24-25 weeks, they would admit me immediately and permanently (until delivery) for constant observation so they could save the baby quickly if needed. They would also give steroid shots to help his lungs develop. However I am not quite 22 weeks, so we are told to go home and rest since the hospital would not save the baby this early. When the he reaches viability, I will be admitted to ensure that they can save him (through cesarean) when/if something goes wrong.

We met with a NICU doctor in the hospital. She talked a lot about statistics and survival. It is apparently the parents’ choice if a child should be saved at 24 weeks. After 25 weeks, it is no question, the hospital will do everything they can. Before then, when the stats are not so great, it is up to the parents. We cried. She says it is a tough decision. But not really for us. Jacob is part of our family. If anyone else in my family were critically injured with a low probability of survival, I would want it to be near the hospital so the doctors could have a chance to do what they do. I believe in miracles and beating the odds. I am trying so hard every day to have faith that “God will Protect.” So I will be checking in/admitting at 24 weeks to give Jacob a chance. Hopefully it is just a precaution and he will make it to 25 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks and all the other milestones, but right now, I am just really hoping and praying for 24 weeks when he will have a chance at survival. The date is September 9. Please pray for Jacob to stay put inside me with no more issues until September 9. Then we’ll pray for September 16 and beyond.